Ciena Debuts WaveRouter, Industry’s First Purpose-Built Router for the Converged Metro
Scalability, operational simplicity, and sustainability – with zero compromises
Giving rise to a new, flexible hybrid architecture that unites traditional chassis and leaf-spine design, WaveRouter utilizes Ciena’s industry-leading WaveLogic coherent optics and intelligent multi-layer control and automation for a high-performance, easy-to-operate, and greener coherent routing solution. It meets the vigorous demands of metro networks by bringing together the best of platform architecture, transport technologies, and software to eliminate trade-offs in space, power, cooling, and scalability.
“Service providers are looking to simplify their networks through convergence to gain a competitive edge in a cloud-driven, always-connected world. Until now, they’ve had to compromise when it came to capacity, operational ease, and sustainability. WaveRouter takes an innovative approach, combining the best in IP, coherent optics, and flexible photonics driven by multi-layer operations for real performance and energy advantages,” said
WaveRouter will be generally available in the third quarter of 2023.
- Manage IP and optical network services in a single interface with Ciena’s Manage, Control and Plan (MCP) multi-layer domain controller, reducing operating costs and driving optimal network performance and growth.
- Deliver adaptable, high-power transport at the lowest cost per bit with integrated performance-optimized as well as pluggable coherent optics that provide dynamic capacity starting at 400Gb/s and scaling to 1.6Tb/s.
- Maximize upgradability with universal slots that accommodate both fabric and I/O interfaces.
- Achieve environmental and sustainability goals with flexible deployment in non-adjacent racks and rows, energy-efficient cooling and cabling, and protected, pay-as-you-grow power distribution.
- Perform in-service fabric expansion with an extensible switch fabric that provides greater performance with no operation degradation, allowing for more scalability.
- Scale without concession with elastic compute that enables resizing of computing capacity independently of routing functions.
- Experience full interoperability with Ciena’s 5100 and 8100 Families for maximum operational efficiency.
- Blog: Metro routing done differently: Unveiling Ciena’s latest innovation, the WaveRouter
- White paper: Redefining Metro Networks for Scale, Simplicity, and Sustainability
- Videos: Metro routing done differently, because you asked
- Insight: What is metro routing done differently?
- Data sheet
Ciena (NYSE: CIEN) is a global leader in networking systems, services, and software. We build the most adaptive networks in the industry, enabling customers to anticipate and meet ever-increasing digital demands. For three-plus decades, Ciena has brought our humanity to our relentless pursuit of innovation. Prioritizing collaborative relationships with our customers, partners, and communities, we create flexible, open, and sustainable networks that better serve all users—today and into the future. For updates on Ciena, follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, the Ciena Insights blog, or visit www.ciena.com.
You are encouraged to review the Investors section of our website, where we routinely post press releases,
View source version on businesswire.com: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20230412005042/en/
+1 (724) 419-5753
+1 (410) 694-5700